I’m an idea person. I love making something out of nothing.”
Page 9 Design is the one-woman graphic design shop of Diane Kolak. That’s me with my intern, Britta. I’ve been designing professionally since earning my B.A. in Visual Communications from Calvin College in 1995, and since then I’ve put gallons of ink on lovely paper. Print design is my specialty, my expertise, and my true design love… but I enjoy applying creative concepts to digital media, too.
I started my career at Williams Group in Grand Rapids, designing a wide variety of print and interactive projects. I later became Art Director at MyNorth Media, designing Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine and Northern Home & Cottage along with several supplemental and custom publications for nine years. In 2009, I started running two independent businesses: Page 9 Design and Dwelement Home Design, a local and online interior design consulting business. In 2013, I found myself happily drawn back to full-time graphic design.
I’d like to listen to your needs and give you a quote, or just talk about how things work around here. Let’s get started… just email me.
“Working with Diane is a dream. She has the rare gift of being both creative and organized, a ‘big picture’ and a detail-oriented person in one. Diane is innovative and intuitive; she has a knack for sensing exactly what we want—even when we can’t quite articulate it ourselves—and then executing our shared vision quickly, efficiently, and beautifully. Deadlines do not scare her.”
—Megan Feeley, Marketing Director at American Spoon Foods, Petoskey
“Throughout the dozens of publications I’ve produced working with Diane Kolak as art director, I have always been impressed with her ability to express beauty, intuition and intellect in the final designs and graphic solutions. Bonus: Diane’s strong organizational skills keep projects on track.”
—Jeff Smith, Editor at MyNorth Media and Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine, Traverse City
“I’ve been in the luxury real estate sales business for over 20 years. In that time I have hired a variety of marketing people and firms… good ones and not-so-good ones. Then I met Diane, who is by far, the most talented one. I am very particular about my brand. Diane is, too. She has taken the time not only to understand my business, but also to understand me. Creative, professional and in charge. Bottom line, Diane gets it!”
—Wally Kidd, Partner at Kidd & Leavy Real Estate, Petoskey
“Diane is far and away the best graphics artist I have ever seen. I can speak from a unique perspective of having owned an advertising agency in Chicago that employed many graphics people and writers. She can take any type of marketing project from a client’s bare bones idea through production—concept development, writing, graphics, and production management—in a creative and seamless way that is marvelous. Diane is pleasant to work with and brings the jobs in on time and on budget.”
—Jody Marquis, Founder & CEO at Mama Bear Restorations, Inc., Traverse City & Leelanau County
“I have enjoyed working with Diane on my website design and other projects. Diane is quite creative, is very intuitive about a client’s needs, works quickly, and is able to meet deadlines when time is short.”
—Lizzi Lambert, Owner and Fashion Designer at Haystacks, Suttons Bay
“My advice to anyone considering Diane’s services is simple: Hire her. Aside from Diane possessing all of the talent and skills you expect from a graphics professional, the most outstanding thing Diane does is just handle things, the right way, on time, the first time. As a small business professional, I appreciate never having to worry about a project Diane is handling for me. She never lets me down.”
—Dan A. Penning, Founder & Lead Adviser at Penning Group, Suttons Bay, Detroit/Novi, & Grand Rapids
- I sense design in everything, including nature, music, and food.
- I wanted to become a graphic designer when I discovered a book of type samples from a Chicago print shop where my uncle worked in the 1950s. It’s still on my bookshelf.
- I work from a quiet, woodsy perch in the loft of my house in Lake Ann, but I serve clients all over using a PDF workflow and online collaborative tools.
- I designed our house from the ground up. It was featured in Fine Homebuilding’s Houses magazine in 2009, and won five awards in the Traverse City HBA show.
- I write shelter features for Northern Home & Cottage magazine.
- I have played the French horn since the age of 10. I volunteer in pit orchestras at the Old Town Playhouse and perform with Encore Winds, the Northport Community Band, and the Prevailing Winds of Leelanau.
- I like outdoorsy activities, sewing, travel, antiquing, midcentury fashion & furniture, anything Scandinavian, good grammar, dogs, and Oxford commas.
- My husband and I give 10% of our net income to various Northern Michigan causes including housing assistance, environmental protection, the arts, and animal welfare. We also donate to Grameen Foundation, a microfinance lending organization that helps women in impoverished countries to establish sustainable businesses.
- I’m easy to work with. I take communication and respect seriously. I take myself less seriously.